PDA

View Full Version : My take on DEN/NE and INDY/PIT

CarlSpackler
01-13-2006, 05:42 PM
COLTS -9.5 over steelers

I really like the Colts here. I think that home field advantage is worth 4.5 points for Indy, as the RCA Dome and the crowd really got into the Steelers' heads earlier this season, and it should be even louder and more chaotic this Sunday. I'm also giving a 1/2 point advantage to Indy due to the bye week, because some of their key players have been able to get healthy (Simon and Diem), and I think that extra work is really advantageous in terms of getting everyone refocused on the current task at hand.

I think Indy is at least a td better than Pittsburgh if they were playing on a neutral field. The Steelers defense doesn't match up well with the Colts offense. If you blitz Manning, he's usually going to make you pay. I love the advantage that the Colts' WR/TE have over the Pittsburgh secondary. There is a great probability that Indy gets a lead early, forcing the Steelers to play catch up. This will be disastrous for the Steelers. The only shot Pitt has at winning is to run the ball well, bleed the clock, and win the turnover battle. I just don't see the Steelers' offense functioning any better in the dome than they did earlier in the season.

All the pregame talk I'm hearing from the Steelers (Joey Porter, etc.) doesn't bode well for them, IMO. They sound like a team that knows it's outmatched, and is hoping to get some bounces going their way in order to win.

I think a more accurate line for this game is the Colts by 12.5.

My prediction: Colts 34 Steelers 17

BRONCOS -3 over patriots

I like Denver to win at home. Shannahan hasn't won a playoff game since Elway retired, but this will be his first playoff game at home. I think home field advantage is worth 4 points for the Broncos, due to the elevation and the raucous crowd.

Denver will shut down the Patriots running game, making them one-dimensional, which means Brady is going to have to win this game for the Pats. While Brady is definitely capable of taking the team on his shoulders, I don't see him doing so on the Saturday night, in what's probably the toughest playoff road game of the Belichik era.

Everyone points to Plummer as the reason why the Broncos will lose this game, but I think he's going to be the reason they win this game. Plummer's ability to move out of the pocket and avoid the pass rush is one of the main reasons I like Denver to win. I've watched just about all of Denver's games this year, and this is a new Jake Plummer -- one who makes smart decisions and doesn't make many mistakes. He's been very consistent. I expect Denver to able to run the ball well enough to set up their playaction.

The bottom line is that the Broncos are a better and deeper team. On a neutral field, I would favor the Broncos by 2.5 or 3 over NE. With home field advantage factored in, I have Denver favored by 6.5 or 7.

My prediction: Denver 23 Patriots 17

2+2 wannabe
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I agree with both of your spreads - Indy is just too good for Pittsburgh, and Denver will pwn NE's run O and force them to throw to Bailey, who will pwn his receiver

Performify
01-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I agree with both of these as well. Denver is by far my game of the week.

Good writeups. Best of luck to us both /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ravensfan
01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm slowly starting to think that Indy should win. Great teams usually win these by blowouts, and I think Indy has something to prove again. I might bet a small amount on the Pitts ML though, since i think Indy wins a blowout, but Pitt might win a close one.

Here's the thing about NE: they're pretty good at adapting to what you have and then taking your best weapon from you. Sure Plummer can scramble well, but what happens when NE contains him, and makes him use both sides of the field from the pocket? Denver's looked great all season, I really like them and the spread is probably accurate, but i like the ML on NE, just b/c, well... How are you gonna bet against streaks? NE in playoffs is not NE in the regular season, and lately Denver hasn't been either, for opposite reasons. ALso, giving Brady and Belichik money for the win sounds good to me. In particular, i think Cory Dillon will have something to say about the outcome, he's been kinda quite all year, and letting Belichik get a second chance against a formulaic attack might just cause a disaster for Denver.

Love the under for this game though, Denver's D has been phenomenal all year, and NEs is starting to show up... Also, Belichik has to have a bunch of evil secrets in store for the simple Denver attack, and i'd be surprised if Denver saw all that many of them the first time around.

ZjustinISaLOSER
01-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Patriots are a team of adjustments. I cannot see them losing to the same team twice. This is their time to shine. If Jake Plummer plays a perfect game the broncos have a slighta edge. But with the healthy front seven of the patriots the running game for the broncos won't be able to get going well and this will severely hurt Jake the snake.

legend42
01-14-2006, 01:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see him doing so on the Saturday night, in what's probably the toughest playoff road game of the Belichik era.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right, but they did beat a 13-3 Steelers team as 10 point underdogs in 2001.

I think, like the Pats/Colts game earlier this year when the mystique/history of Belichick-Brady was all that kept the line somewhat grounded, there might be value selling points on Denver, or even taking them on an alternate money line for big odds (Pinny has em at -10.5 +315 for instance). Either the magic's over or it's not. If it is, they could lose big- and I agree most normal capping methods point clearly to Denver here. But there's no way I'm fading the Pats in the playoffs at LESS THAN EVEN MONEY & LAYING POINTS. I don't know why anybody would.

27offsuit
01-14-2006, 04:21 PM
NE has given up like 128 yards of total rushing offense in the last 4 games.

Total.

I realize I'm a homer, but if the entire country is on Denver and the Pats are getting points, I'm f*cking buying.

craig
01-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Why do you think the entire country is on DEN? From what I have gathered, the big money is on DEN, but the public is on NE. As a NE fan, this does not make me happy.

craig

NajdorfDefense
01-14-2006, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think the entire country is on DEN? From what I have gathered, the big money is on DEN, but the public is on NE. As a NE fan, this does not make me happy.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

1 unit on DEN -3. Also have 1 unit on them at 10-1 to win AFC, so go Plummer [I can't believe I'm betting on him and against Brady, so hard to do so must be right.]

YTD NFL +1.5 units, playoffs 3-1, + 3.8 units.

Naj /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

BobJoeJim
01-14-2006, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

1 unit on DEN -3. Also have 1 unit on them at 10-1 to win AFC, so go Plummer [I can't believe I'm betting on him.]

[/ QUOTE ]
How long ago did you get 10/1? I like Denver to win the AFC at the 4.5 to 1 that's being offered right now, much less at 10/1.

DougOzzzz
01-14-2006, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd guess that in similar situations the public team still covers about 48% on average. As a bettor, taking a team 48% to cover is a bad idea, and will cause you to lose a lot of money in the long run.

As a fan, there's not much difference between 48% and 52%.

MacGuyV
01-15-2006, 02:25 AM
What's this about Nick Harper's wife pulling a Tonya Harding?

KaneKungFu123
01-15-2006, 04:51 AM
Peyton Manning sucks in playoffs. I cant imagine laying the points with Indy.

NajdorfDefense
01-15-2006, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
craig

[/ QUOTE ]

1 unit on DEN -3. Also have 1 unit on them at 10-1 to win AFC, so go Plummer [I can't believe I'm betting on him and against Brady, so hard to do so must be right.]
YTD NFL +1.5 units, playoffs 3-1, + 3.8 units.

[/ QUOTE ]

After wins on SEA, under SEA, and Den, record is now +6.5 units YTD NFL, playoffs is now 6-1, +8.8 units.

Naj

2+2 wannabe
01-15-2006, 03:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Denver will pwn NE's run O and force them to throw to Bailey, who will pwn his receiver

[/ QUOTE ]

TWolf2006
01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Thats a heck of a good call.

BEP
01-17-2006, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Denver will pwn NE's run O and force them to throw to Bailey, who will pwn his receiver

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Indy is just too good for Pittsburgh

[/ QUOTE ]

Gramps
01-17-2006, 01:00 AM
The Steelers are a lock to win the SUper Bowl, book it.
The Panthers are a lock to win the Super Bowl, book it.
The Broncos are a lock to win the Super Bowl, book it.
The Seahawks are lock to win the SUper Bowl, book it.

[ QUOTE ]
TBD

[/ QUOTE ]