PDA

View Full Version : Pretend you are a recruiter for The Marines

KaneKungFu123
01-13-2006, 06:36 AM
And I come into your office. I am 18 years old. I take your standardized test and score in the 99th percentile. You ask me some questions, and the following come out of my mouth:

I want to know what it feels like to kill another man. I am fascinated by murder and I fantasize about murdering random men on the street.

Is this last piece of information positive of negative in the mind of the recruiter?

Do The Marines want men who want to kill or are people who want to kill considered psychopaths. So does the government want sane men, who aren't psychopaths to become killers? Can a Marine kill without becoming a psychopath?

Phil153
01-13-2006, 06:56 AM
I think standard recruiters look for basically sane people, so it'd be a negative. However I've heard that the special forces and certain marine unit don't mind whackos at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Do The Marines want men who want to kill or are people who want to kill considered psychopaths. So does the government want sane men, who aren't psychopaths to become killers?

[/ QUOTE ]
The goverment wants men who can and will follow orders and maintain discipline every time. Everything else is secondary.

[ QUOTE ]
Can a Marine kill without becoming a psychopath?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. A whole generation of men did, and only a small percentage went insane. Of course war/killing affects people (it affected my dad a lot), but it doesn't turn people into psychopaths with a predisposition (IMHO).

Prodigy54321
01-13-2006, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to know what it feels like to kill another man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is legitimate, although most people won't come out and say it. (with mosts people I'd think it's more of a killing BAD people thing than just anyone though)

[ QUOTE ]
I am fascinated by murder and I fantasize about murdering random men on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

This.....not so much /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

soon2bepro
01-13-2006, 09:23 AM
The "Berzerk" from Vikings were a very powerful force. They'd run through enemy troops swinging a large axe and screaming madly.

Today's experts think this behavior may be due to consuming hallucinogenic mushrooms previous to battle.

For some reason though, they could be controlled and didn't usually attack friendly troops. I don't see how a similar idea can't be applied today /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously though, if this man has gone through all these troubles to score such a good % in the test and all, he's likely to follow orders. He likes killing innocent people, so I'd say this is the perfect recruit.

Prodigy54321
01-13-2006, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He likes killing innocent people , so I'd say this is the perfect recruit.

[/ QUOTE ]

^is that a liberal comment i see? (I agree) --so very sadly true

KaneKungFu123
01-14-2006, 05:50 PM
i guess people dont find this interesting, but i thought it was.

pokerjoker
01-14-2006, 07:02 PM
I tell them they should seek psychological help and not join the marines. Then I put them on the front.

I mean someone gotta take the bullets, this guy seems like a pretty good candidate.

fnord_too
01-14-2006, 07:19 PM
Definitely negative. The marines have the highest (or second highest, AF may have higher, don't recall) standards of all the services. They definitely don't want loose cannons, since they need coordination in operations, and someone not doing their job because they have an opportunity to kill someone could get the whole group wiped out. Also, they really do not want to kill non combatants for myriad reasons, so I doubt you would get in after spouting off like that.

fnord_too
01-14-2006, 07:29 PM
On a side note, I've worked with several former marines. They were probably the least eager to see combat erupt since they are the shock troops and the ones in the most peril when the bullets start to fly. Also, probably for the same reasons, they seemed to think a lot more about future warfare. I was surprised when I was working in the DoD world that the marines as a group seemed to have the most on the ball. (Acronyms like Muscles Are Required, Intelligence Not Essential don't really fit reality, though they are pretty funny.)

A_C_Slater
01-14-2006, 08:01 PM
The marine corp does not want robots. The marine corp wants killers, men who are without fear.

Riddick
01-15-2006, 01:35 AM
There is a psych exam, and yes this would constitue failure of that exam.

BluffTHIS!
01-15-2006, 03:48 AM
KKF, I think in order to answer this question that you need to go and find out for yourself. Put aside trying to get rich off poker, trying to best Spirit Rock, worrying about taxes and why you should be limited to 1 young asian hottie wife, and go sign up. Then come back in 3 years and tell us how your psyche has been affected.

I find the thought of you walking point in a force recon squad in Afghanistan or standing post in a tower in Gitmo opposite Cuban positions somewhat pleasing.

gmrankin
01-15-2006, 03:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The marines have the highest standards of all the services.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA... this is laughable

ThinkQuick
01-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Why do people have to ask questions in this nutso first person format?

fnord_too
01-15-2006, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the Navy people I worked with admitted Marine standards were a lot higher than the Navy, and the Army's are pretty laughable.

NewbieStyle
01-15-2006, 07:09 PM
Standerns as far as uniform, being on time, working out are higher, yes. However I've met many of Marines returning from combat in Iraq very few are to be considered normal. They either become drug addicts (yes the Marines have a much larger problim with drugs then most servies, which I might add, their chain of command covers up so they can remain in force.) Or any number of other problims as far as joining the Marines they may not want crazy people but once in they will do everything in thier power to keep you. Killing random people on the streets of Iraq isn't a huge deal as long as theres no media there.

Riddick
01-15-2006, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your opinion and your absence of any knowledge of US armed forces is laughable.

Good Idea
01-17-2006, 11:01 PM
As a former Navy recruiter, I can assure you that there would be no chance of getting into the Corps with that attitude. Even though the primary purpose of the military is to kill people and break things, anyone who just wants to kill cannot be trusted to make good judgements and may very well kill one of his fellow Marines.

Good Idea
01-17-2006, 11:08 PM
Fnord,

When I was in the Navy and recruiting, it was the Marine Corps that that had the highest ASVAB requirements (65th percentile). The Army was 31st, Navy and Air Force was 50th.
That makes your typical Marine smarter than two-thirds of the general population. Funny how times change but the stereotypes live on.

Regards,
G.I.

NewbieStyle
01-17-2006, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty sure the ASVAB % is based off the people who take it (read low income familys). Most of the "smart" people in my school went to school after high school. I got 94% on the ASVAB and have never taken the SAT/ACT but I'm pretty sure I'll land around 80% if that.

With that being said today from highest to lowest is Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army. Guessing the low recuiting rate for people who are really getting shot at has something to do with the cutoffs. But the special forces within Army, Navy, Marines matain some of the highest ASVAB scores in the armed forces.