PDA

View Full Version : slightly left wing libertarian.

chezlaw
05-10-2006, 09:35 PM
A friend got me to take this test and the result fitted my self-image pretty well.

Economic left/right: -0.75
social libertarian/authoritarian: -6.26

Thats a slightly left of center non-fanatical libertarian.

political compass (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/)

Anyone else?

chez

guesswest
05-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Economic left/right: - 2.63
Social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.08

HLMencken
05-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Economic Left/Right: 3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

theweatherman
05-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38

bunny
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Economic left/right: - 5.38
Social libertarian/authoritarian: - 5.33

DougShrapnel
05-10-2006, 10:34 PM
Took the test awhile ago. Moderate left/libertarian.

New001
05-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Farthest right so far.

Economic Left/Right: 4.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.87

Jshuttlesworth
05-10-2006, 10:56 PM
I decided not to take the test when I read the first question:
"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

Borodog
05-10-2006, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've seen this test before, and it has several questions like, "I prefer to beat my wife with an extension cord rather than my bare hands. Stongly disagree, disagree, agree, strongly agree."

DougShrapnel
05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've seen this test before, and it has several questions like, "I prefer to beat my wife with an extension cord rather than my bare hands. Stongly disagree, disagree, agree, strongly agree."

[/ QUOTE ]What did you answer? They both have something going for em.

chezlaw
05-10-2006, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a couple like this, one about genetic plant I didn't understand at all, but most of the questions are straightforward.

chez

pilliwinks
05-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Left/right: -5.9
lib/auth: -4.7

Puts me between the Dalai Lama and Nelson Mandela. What a noble person I must be.

I have to agree with Borodog to the very limited extent that they should have a 'no opinion/crap question' option. Maybe the number of such answers could give them a Z axis for 'misunderstood teenage genius/mature voter'?

hmkpoker
05-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Question #1 is the most dumbfounding load of garbage I have ever heard:

[ QUOTE ]
If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This assumes that business interests always exist at odds with consumer interests, which is wrong. Furthermore, if globalization is to be defined as the development of more expansive and centralized government, those who become the most powerful will be those who have the most money and power anyway, so the "should" or "shouldn't" is irrelevant, as they will serve their own needs inevitably.

There is an overwhelming anti-capitalist sentiment in the questions of this test, as many of the questions are phrased with fallacies that yield inaccurate results.

[ QUOTE ]
Controlling inflation is more important than controlling unemployment.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Controlling inflation leads to less unemployment (in the long run).

[ QUOTE ]
Because corporations cannot be trusted to voluntarily protect the environment, they require regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

- I'm wagering this automatically adds points toward statism, which is wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
It is regrettable that many personal fortunes are made by people who simply manipulate money and contribute nothing to their society.

[/ QUOTE ]

- This is an argument to control inflation, not necessarily to forcibly regulate business. If I agree with it, does that make me automatically statist? What if I agree with it because I think it is a symptom of statism?

[ QUOTE ]
Protectionism is sometimes necessary in trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Assumes the free market cannot provide protectionism.

[ QUOTE ]
The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Never mind the fact that they need to provide a SERVICE of some kind to the consumers in order to do that (as long as there aren't any artificial barriers imposed)

[ QUOTE ]
A genuine free market requires restrictions on the ability of predator multinationals to create monopolies.

[/ QUOTE ]

- This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

[ QUOTE ]
Taxpayers should not be expected to prop up any theatres or museums that cannot survive on a commercial basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Taxpayers don't have a choice. If they did, they would be donators.

[ QUOTE ]
The prime function of schooling should be to equip the future generation to find jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Strongly disagree...NOT because I think we should be teaching kids hippie liberal statist general education garbage, but because there should be no centrally planned "prime function."

[ QUOTE ]
What's good for the most successful corporations is always, ultimately, good for all of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

- What if said corporations control the government?

[ QUOTE ]
Although the electronic age makes official surveillance easier, only wrongdoers need to be worried.

[/ QUOTE ]

- This is nit-picking, but I think it's funny. Technically I agree with this, only because Big Brother is the one defining what's "wrong" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
The businessperson and the manufacturer are more important than the writer and the artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

- What the hell the difference?!?!?

As evidence that the questions are poorly phrased and yield inaccurate results, I submit my score, which is:

Economic Left/Right: 4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.08

I guess that makes me a moderate libertarian. At least the OKCupid (http://www.okcupid.com/politics) politics test managed to stick me all the way in the anarcho-capitalist whackjob corner where I belong.

Would someone please write up a single axis "freedom/thuggery" political spectrum test? Thanks.

bunny
05-11-2006, 01:17 AM
OKCupid says I'm social liberal 65% and economic liberal 25%.

theweatherman
05-11-2006, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assumes the free market cannot provide protectionism.

[/ QUOTE ]

This probably should go in the politics forum but, how does a free market provide protectionism?

It seems that the US is where it is today not becuase of a gung ho spirit, or the superiority of our ideals, but because of over a century of protectionist poloicies. Allowing our industries free reign to gouge the people with higher than world prices created the infrastructure we know and love today.

DougShrapnel
05-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Okcupid
You are a

Social Liberal
(66% permissive)

and an...

Economic Liberal
(30% permissive)

You are best described as a:

Democrat

You exhibit a very well-developed sense of Right and Wrong and believe in economic fairness.

hmkpoker
05-11-2006, 01:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This probably should go in the politics forum but, how does a free market provide protectionism?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a demand for competant regulation. We've explained this before.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=11#Post5103391 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=5103391&an=0&page=11 #Post5103391)

theweatherman
05-11-2006, 01:53 AM
social liberal (85% permissive)
economic liberal (8% permissive)

Im down on the bottom left, chilling with Ghandi.

Has anyone else noticed that Osama Bin Laden is in the Republican section? I found this awesome.

PoBoy321
05-11-2006, 02:42 AM
left/right : -5.00
libertarian/authoritarian : -4.97

I agree that there were some leading questions in there.

GMontag
05-11-2006, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there is a demand for competant regulation. We've explained this before.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showth...=11#Post5103391 (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=5103391&an=0&page=11 #Post5103391)

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be missing something. How is the linked post relevant at all to protectionism?

PoBoy321
05-11-2006, 06:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be missing something. How is the linked post relevant at all to protectionism?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! He wrote a long post! Of course it proves that he's right!!!

MadTiger
05-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Same as you.

madnak
05-11-2006, 06:28 AM
Economic Left/Right: 2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92

I've taken this test before. It's very biased, and some of the questions have nothing to do with politics. I also think the scale is [censored]. But it's interesting. And I do agree with the characterization of me as a "pure" anarchist. I consider myself about 0, -10. I'm glad they changed the horizontal scale to left/right instead of economic freedom. Left/right is much more accurate given the test questions, which often have nothing to do with government at all.

The emptiness of the lower-right quadrant is telling here:

http://madnak.com/images/internationalchart.gif

The faq (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/faq.php) does cover many of the issues raised.

hmkpoker
05-11-2006, 12:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! He wrote a long post! Of course it proves that he's right!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a surprise, idiot boy wants to start a pissing contest.

I'm just going to point out that you're too stupid to actually argue with issues and need to revert to ad hominems to feel beeter about yourself and call it a day

Borodog
05-11-2006, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
protectionism

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, hmk, but . . .

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Protectionism is the practice wherein the government reserves a market or some portion of a market for a preferred provider by protecting that firm from competition, either through regulation, tariffs, or licensure laws.

And no, the free market cannot provide protectionism. I'm glad PoBoy pointed this out, since it falsifies every post he has ever made about monopolies in the free market. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hmkpoker
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Ah. Well [censored] that then.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Economic Left/Right: 7.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

Marginally less conservative and marginally more libertarian than Milton Friedman.

BCPVP
05-11-2006, 02:45 PM
I closed the window so I don't remember exactly, but I believe my score was Economic Right: 8.8 and Libertarian: -2.8

hmkpoker
05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Another thing: how is "capitalism" considered "neo-liberalism"? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

moorobot
05-11-2006, 06:17 PM
What a surprise: econ left/right: -9.00, social libertarian/authoritarian -7.13

And the test is rather biased, I've seen worse but it is definitely in the bottom half.

BCPVP
05-11-2006, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What a surprise: econ left/right: -9.00, social libertarian/authoritarian -7.13

And the test is rather biased, I've seen worse but it is definitely in the bottom half.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think we needed further proof that you're a jack-booted authoritarian, but it's nice that you admit it.

madnak
05-11-2006, 06:34 PM
The faq (http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/faq.php) explains that.

moorobot
05-11-2006, 06:34 PM
I think I scored very far on the libertarian side here; oh wait, you consider increasing the freedom of poor and working class people to be an authoritarian political goal. You think equal freedom is authoritarian, and unequal freedom to be libertarian. My mistake.

madnak
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Actually, he scored better on the libertarian/authoritarian scale than I'd have predicted. -7.13 isn't bad.

BCPVP
05-11-2006, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, he scored better on the libertarian/authoritarian scale than I'd have predicted. -7.13 isn't bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehe, did I tell you I can't read? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MrMon
05-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Taking the test, I thought it had a slightly left bias, and after reading the FAQ, I certainly think so, but the results for me come up the same as any similar test, so there's no evidence the results are skewed, just the tone of the questions.

That said, I find it interesting that I and many people I know occupy the lower right quadrant, as do many respondants here, yet no politician does. Perhaps it's a sign there is a political vaccuum that needs filling by some enterprising politician.

BCPVP
05-11-2006, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Taking the test, I thought it had a slightly left bias, and after reading the FAQ, I certainly think so, but the results for me come up the same as any similar test, so there's no evidence the results are skewed, just the tone of the questions.

That said, I find it interesting that I and many people I know occupy the lower right quadrant, as do many respondants here, yet no politician does. Perhaps it's a sign there is a political vaccuum that needs filling by some enterprising politician.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's probably a sign that poker players are more libertarian than the general population, for obvious reasons.

madnak
05-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Perhaps it's a sign that people who love freedom don't get into politics.

Riddick
05-11-2006, 08:49 PM
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 8.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

PoBoy321
05-12-2006, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm just going to point out that you're too stupid to actually argue with issues and need to revert to ad hominems to feel beeter about yourself and call it a day

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuttal (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5103391&an=0&page=0#Post 5103391)

moorobot
05-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Higher in terms of social libertarianism by far than the average among anarchists on this board. Surprising in some ways, less so in others.

MrMon
05-12-2006, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's probably a sign that poker players are more libertarian than the general population, for obvious reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people I know in real life are not poker players. I really think there is an unmet political need in this country that is unmet by either the Democrats or the Republicans. You would think that would be picked up by the Libertarian Party, but they're too anarcho-isolationist to be more than a fringe movement. Where is the Just Leave Us Alone Party?

RagnarPirate
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
I came out:
far right wing economically +9.00
libertarian -1
funny, I landed exactly on Milton Friedman's dot.

RagnarPirate
05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
now that is really not surprising.

RagnarPirate
05-12-2006, 09:54 AM
how could chirac possibly be right of center economically (except relative to other French leaders)?

hmkpoker
05-12-2006, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuttal (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5103391&an=0&page=0#Post 5103391)

[/ QUOTE ]

tl;dr

BCPVP
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The people I know in real life are not poker players. I really think there is an unmet political need in this country that is unmet by either the Democrats or the Republicans. You would think that would be picked up by the Libertarian Party, but they're too anarcho-isolationist to be more than a fringe movement. Where is the Just Leave Us Alone Party?

[/ QUOTE ]
I meant little 'l' libertarian, not Libertarian Party members.

And the LP is not in favor of anarchy, afaik.

pvn
05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
I stopped after the first question as well.

The last one of these I took was the OKCupid test (http://www.okcupid.com/politics) (which I took september of last year). It's not the best test ever, but it is the only one I've seen that scores Darth Vader. My results:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4863/people8mg.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
You are a Social Liberal (83% permissive) and an... Economic Conservative (95% permissive). You are best described as a: Anarchist. You exhibit a very well-developed sense of Right and Wrong and believe in economic fairness.

[/ QUOTE ]

I blame flawed questioning/scoring methodolgy for my low scores.

hmkpoker
05-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I got 93%/93% /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Freerollin`
05-12-2006, 02:43 PM
This was fun.

You are a

Social Liberal
(71% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(85% permissive)

Libertarian

You exhibit a very well-developed sense of Right and Wrong and believe in economic fairness

madnak
05-12-2006, 04:18 PM
You are a

Social Liberal
(83% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(66% permissive)

Libertarian

I've taken it before. I didn't like it then, and I don't like it now.

bocablkr
05-12-2006, 04:56 PM
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -3.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.36

JMAnon
05-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Econ: 4.5
Social: -3.79

On OK Cupid:

Socially Permissive 75%
Economically Permissive 88%
Best described as libertarian.

The Don
05-12-2006, 05:43 PM
You are a

Social Liberal
(96% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(93% permissive)

Anarchist

Political Compass:

Economic Left/Right: 7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.92

The OK Cupid test is definitely more straightfoward. The political compass put me between a rock and a hard place close to a dozen times.

Borodog
05-13-2006, 12:32 AM
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c153/Borodog/chart_famous.jpg

moorobot
05-13-2006, 03:03 PM
On the Ok Cupid Test, I love the 'election 2004' graph showing who voted for who in terms of scores on the test. Good fun. The Darth Vaders and Stalins voted for Bush, in addition to the usual subjects.

And, of course, social liberal (78% permissive), economic liberal (5% permissive). You are best described as a: socialist.

nietzreznor
05-13-2006, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the Ok Cupid Test, I love the 'election 2004' graph showing who voted for who in terms of scores on the test. Good fun. The Darth Vaders and Stalins voted for Bush, in addition to the usual subjects.

And, of course, social liberal (78% permissive), economic liberal (5% permissive). You are best described as a: socialist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, both these tests suck. Without the stipid and misleading questions, I figure myself about a 0/-10 on the compass and a 100/100 on the one with Vader.

But hey, at least this test knows I'm more socially liberal than moorobot /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pvn
05-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Just place yourself where you want on this spectrum:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4789061

Chips_
05-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.77

Wow almost 0,0 - Does this mean I should be a political forum moderator?

The questions on average seemed inclined to produce responses that would give a negative number in both directions.

DCWildcat
05-14-2006, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are a

Social Liberal
(83% permissive)

and an...

Economic Conservative
(66% permissive)

Libertarian

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny. I scored almost the same as you (83/55) but that termed me a "strong democrat." Which, for the record, I am not.

moorobot
05-14-2006, 03:48 AM
The cutoff lines are arbitrary, probably necessarily so.

The democratic party in the U.S., has about, on average, a slightly less liberal view socially and about an equal view in terms of economics. Your view, as this test measures it, is very close to what the view of the average politican from the democratic party's view is.

madnak
05-14-2006, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty funny. I scored almost the same as you (83/55) but that termed me a "strong democrat." Which, for the record, I am not.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://madnak.com/images/madnakokpoli.gif

If you look at the chart, it's right where the line between libertarian and Democrat is. I find the entire area rather interesting. Apparently if you're socially permissive, then you also get to be economically permissive and still a Democrat. But if you aren't very socially permissive, then you can't be economically permissive either. The bottom-left section of "Democrats" is totalitarian, and the top-right section is anarchistic! Just goes to show the party doesn't mean anything any more.

The test is awful, however. I hate the "strongly agree" stuff. I can be an anarchist even if I don't feel strongly about anything, how strongly I feel about it is a separate issue. I believe the reason I'm not at about 95%,95% is because I often used the more moderate "agree" and "disagree," without the "strongly" part. I'd be willing to bet that hmk, pvn, and Boro answered "strongly" in almost every case.

Borodog
05-14-2006, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd be willing to bet that hmk, pvn, and Boro answered "strongly" in almost every case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly agree.

Chips_
05-15-2006, 07:37 AM
To me this chart is not right. Libertarians are not closer to Democrats than they are to Republicans, with huge standard deviations within the party on that scale vs either other major party. But on avereage most of the analysis I have seen is that they tend to take away more votes from Republicans than from Democrats. I would wager that Libetarian candidates in upcomming elections in 2006 and 2008 will take more from Republicans.

hmkpoker
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Depends on the Republicans and Democrats. This might have been the case when Republicans had the illusion of being tox tax, small federal government advocates, but that is clearly not the case now.

You're saying that Libertarians "would otherwise have voted" for Republicans, but that is simply not the case. The vast majority of us HATE Bush. We don't support his Democratic competitors less than him, we actively hate him. Most of us would rather not vote than vote for a Republicrat.

The Bush administration has done an excellent job of showing the country that the Republican party does not support libertarian values.

RagnarPirate
05-15-2006, 03:39 PM
right on brother. I would add that that food example was not contrived AT ALL.

Since this is a poker site, consider online poker. It is about as laissez-faire as you can get. They are offshore, essentially unregulated multi-billion dollar businesses. Website reputation is worth gold. They go to great length to present their independent accounting and anti-collusion provisions. In addition, as a player, I am highly vigilant towards the possibility of fraud. I think it is the case that people are like sheep being lulled into a false sense of security by the supposed protection of government regulation. After all Enron had the SEC seal of approval on its accounting practices. I doubt that billions would have been lost in that same company if hyper-vigilant investors were rationally considering this company's valuation.

Borodog
05-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I will remind you that it was the private entities, i.e. the market, that noticed the funny business with Enron in the first place. I will also remind you that Enron didn't do anything all that unusual or underhanded; they just shifted some accounting from one column to another to try to put makeup on the hog that was their financial condition. If that is fraud, WTF do you call what the government does with its "books"? The federal government has simply LOST trillions of dollars (after they were stolen in the first place), and not a single one of the [censored] will be punished in any way for their incompetent and fraudulent accounting practices.

MCS
05-22-2006, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the reason I'm not at about 95%,95% is because I often used the more moderate "agree" and "disagree," without the "strongly" part. I'd be willing to bet that hmk, pvn, and Boro answered "strongly" in almost every case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'd be at 95/95 or anything, but I also answered the "moderate" choices most of the time. I have defined opinions on almost all the questions, but not that many of them are super-strong. I usually at least kinda understand both sides.

I also wasn't concerned with proving how libertarian I am, which I am sure was the goal of several 2+2 test-takers. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

For the record, I was 68/66.

hmkpoker
05-22-2006, 07:45 PM
There's a wide range of libertarians there.

Hell, I voted for Kerry. (Yeah, yeah, shut up)

New001
05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a wide range of libertarians there.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's one thing I won't forgive Bush for /images/graemlins/frown.gif I really really wanted a Democrat president and a Republican congress. Can you imagine all the nothing that would have gotten done? I couldn't stand Kerry though.

MCS
05-22-2006, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F that. I voted for Kerry and I'd do it again.

Not that I love Kerry. I just hate(d) Bush. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually, I should clarify. I hate Bush as a U.S. President. I LOVE him in that video where he's rambling about "only in America" and such. He seems like a fun dude. I just don't want him to be in charge of anything.

r3vbr
05-23-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm a right wing libertarian, and yeah thats how i feel so the test is accurate /images/graemlins/laugh.gif