PDA

View Full Version : Jeopardy Question.

theweatherman
05-09-2006, 08:05 PM
I have a question about the bidding of tonight's final jeopardy that I hope yall can answer. First off it is tournament of champions week so al these guys know what they are doing.

At final jeopardy the scores are Guy 1: $16,400 Guy 2: $3200 Guy 3: $13,000

The category is contemporary composers which seems relatively obscure. All three get the question correct and their bids are revealed:

Guy 2 bids $3,199 to make his score = $6,399
Guy 3 bids $3,401 to make his score = $16,401
Guy 1 bids $2 to make his score = $16,402

What the [censored] kind of a strategy are guys 1 and 2 playing??? I cant figure this out at all. the only thing I can think of is that in the Tournament of champions the top two advance, but even then why would they bid at all? How can either of these bids be a good idea????

Copernicus
05-09-2006, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a question about the bidding of tonight's final jeopardy that I hope yall can answer. First off it is tournament of champions week so al these guys know what they are doing.

At final jeopardy the scores are Guy 1: $16,400 Guy 2: $3200 Guy 3: $13,000

The category is contemporary composers which seems relatively obscure. All three get the question correct and their bids are revealed:

Guy 2 bids $3,199 to make his score = $6,399
Guy 3 bids $3,401 to make his score = $16,401
Guy 1 bids $2 to make his score = $16,402

What the [censored] kind of a strategy are guys 1 and 2 playing??? I cant figure this out at all. the only thing I can think of is that in the Tournament of champions the top two advance, but even then why would they bid at all? How can either of these bids be a good idea????

[/ QUOTE ]

Two is pretty obvious..he bets the maximum he can, but retains $1 in case the other two go all in and all 3 get it wrong.

Guy 1 seems to have made a lucky guess that Guy 3 was going to try and beat him by $1 if he bet. If there are mutiple sets of contestants in the TOC and the highest runners up go as well as the weekly winners, then its not a lucky guess, because Guy 3's best strategy is to try and beat him by $1 while maintaining the biggest stack he can.

TomCollins
05-09-2006, 09:07 PM
There could be a wild card, where if you have a high enough score you still make it. So it is best to win, but it might not be worth risking too much to guarantee a win.

If it's a tough category, #1 doesn't want to screw himself, as he has to bid $9601 to shut out #3. This would leave him with only $6799. Betting a small amount doesn't make any difference, since if he misses, and #3 gets it right, he won't win. He also knows that #3 won't risk too much, as he is in decent shape as well. So it makes the most sense for #3 to bet $3301 (I think you made a mistake, as your numbers don't add up). So he bets $2, and is in good shape. If #3 would have thought of this, he could have bet $3303, and won. But it's a cat and mouse game at this point.

FlFishOn
05-09-2006, 10:39 PM
More importantly, one of the fellows gave a final question that seemed to be technically wrong and got credit. A: 'One of two composers.....' and the dude gave both names in his Q. I'd mark him off for being a smart ass at a minimum. Plus I never even heard of that french composer.

Sponger.
05-10-2006, 12:27 AM
www.jeopardy.com (http://www.jeopardy.com)

go to the message board. find todays recap thread. read.

FlFishOn
05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Too much overhead to view that site. Could you post a two sentence explaination?

Sponger.
05-10-2006, 02:57 PM
For you, no. I don't like you, and your first post in this thread sucks.

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-10-2006, 03:26 PM
1st round tournament betting strategy is much different than any other Final Jeopardy! situation due to the wild cards. What they have isn't real money, it's like tournament chips in a double shootout. You win your table and give them back.

For guy #2, he has to bet his whole stack. $3,200 won't get him in the semis. $6,400 might. Not a mistake. It's his only option.

Guy #1 figures he's got enough to make the semis and figures #3 won't overbet, so he hedges thinking guy#3 will bet only enough to pass him by $1. Not a mistake, good read on his opponent.

Guy #3 probably makes the biggest mistake. Historically, $13K is enough to get a wild-card in the TOC, $9,600 is borderline, but more often than not good enough.

Turns out it was an easier question than the category suggested. Monday's was cake, too. I'm surprised all three missed that one. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Kurn, son of Mogh
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
So, like in high-low declare, if he tries both ways it's either scoop or lose, no split pot? /images/graemlins/cool.gif