PDA

View Full Version : Relating Ancient Philosophical ideas w/ life and/or poker??

john voight
05-09-2006, 03:11 AM
Topic: How to apply some philosophical idea(s) and/or method(s)to some issue in your life.

By ancient phil. I mean phil related to;
Parmenides
logos (Heraclitus)
Buddhist
yin and yang
Plato’s Forms
Aristotle
metaphysical issue of being vs. becoming
Socretes
Confucius
Virtue ethics (plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Lao Zi approaches)

A bit nerdy this may seem. But if you are familiar w/ any of these areas in phil. I would be greatful if you could enlighten me and tell me how any of their ideas may be relevant to my life.

my life= go to school, come home, play poker, watch tv, sleep,...

cambraceres
05-09-2006, 03:17 AM
That's Socrates

And the best book of remote antiquity I have found as far as poker goes is the "Art of War" by Sun Tzu and Sun Pin.
Other than that I would suggest another not on your rather pedantic list, "Meditations" By Marcus Aurelius.

Of course Aristotle and his antecedent post-socratics are required in any philosophical regimen, and there are plenty of people with an acute understanding of these works, but there is alot outside of these classics that is very valuable.

Cheers

Cambraceres

Phil153
05-09-2006, 03:58 AM
Confucius say: It is good for girl to meet boy in park, but better for boy to park meet in girl.

mikeevans12
05-09-2006, 06:17 AM
Aristotle's views on moral and intellectual virtues are a great philosophy that can apply to poker and life. He sees virtues as the components of a good character and intellect, and by achieving excellence in the virtues a person can live the good life.

Also, the development of a poker player can parallel the progression of the forms. Begining in flux to generalizations to scientific observation and ending with true knowledge and understanding.