PDA

View Full Version : we should have a digg.com-like system for thread removing/locking

send_the_msg
01-12-2006, 08:48 PM
at digg.com the users just pick out the threads they think are bad and vote em off. we should do this too, i'm ridiculous sick of all the mods in all the forums, they're ruining 2p2.

deacsoft
01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Maybe we could spend the next few months nominating candidates. Then we could hold preliminary elections to pick the people that who, in turn, pick the people that start the polls to see what gets locked and/or removed. Then crappy threads would only take about 6 months to be locked and/or removed.

You could try writing your local congressman about this, but I wouldn't hold your breath. That's about as inefficient as we could get.

send_the_msg
01-12-2006, 10:03 PM
or 10 clicks of the "this thread sucks button" would do it...

deacsoft
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry, bro. I just don't see that being good for everyone. We should let 10 random members decide what's a good thread and what's not? One man's trash is another man's treasure.
The whole Mod thing is a fairly new venture. I suggest just taking it easy and letting us settle in. There's much discussion going on between the Mods and Admins behind the scenes. We're trying to work out ways to make these forums better for everyone. Be patient.

BluffTHIS!
01-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree with deac. Bad idea. For one thing like he said, the ones most likely to vote lock when there is no corresponding opposite, are often going to be a minority. And even if a majority of posters don't like it, then the easiest thing to do is not feed the tread by posting there so as to allow it to die quicker. And such a thing could easily lead to censorship of controversial topics worthy of discussion. And this is true in strategy forums as well as non-strategy ones. Plus there is already a working system in place to notify a mod, and an appeal past a green mod to Matt. That system ain't broke even if it is not perfect.

send_the_msg
01-13-2006, 02:15 AM
it works so effectively at digg, and they suffer from the same problems as here. with the exception of oot, most people are not out of line, they are quite reasonable, and i believe would not abuse this system.