PDA

View Full Version : 8/b weak or smart check on river?

getfunky
01-12-2006, 06:35 PM
The player obviously paired, and might call me with 2 pair, but I thought I was up against a str8 and/or flush draw. I checked thinking most hands couldn't call me as villian would usually raise or fold. Anyone bet here?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Bring-In $1 (hand converter (http://www.geocities.com/greenage22/7StudConverter.htm))

3rd Street - (0.67 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds

4th Street - (3.67 SB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets

5th Street - (3.33 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

6th Street - (5.33 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls

River - (7.33 BB)

Hero: A/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif xx___checks

Total pot: (7.33 BB)

mscags
01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I think it is a good check, he isn't paying you off for high with anything you beat and you certainly dont want to see a raise here on the river.

getfunky
01-13-2006, 03:49 PM
thx scaqs. i looked up 'heads up on the end' in Theory of Poker to try to get more information. The considerations of whether to bet also involve the likelihood the opponent will bluff or bet with a worse hand if you check. 8/b is more straightforward because opponents who look low can't really bluff out a high hand. It would have been risky, but I would have bet if my hand was concealed. With the open aces, I gotta check.

mscags
01-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I agree completely

Andy B
01-14-2006, 10:51 AM
I would bet out on fourth. The other guy's board is pretty scary, and I can't fault you for checking the river. It is certainly possible that the other guy will call with something that you scoop, but many times that you are called, you will be chopping. And there is a pretty good chance that will be the one being scooped. If the other guy raises, you have to call, and you can't like it. If checking is wrong, it isn't by much.