PDA

View Full Version : First game theory book to read?

Shooby
12-26-2005, 12:21 AM
Hey All,
I've decided that understanding game theory will help my poker, so I amazon'ed game theory, but there's a ton of books.
I'm not a math guy (highest math completed was geometry in high school), so what do you guys recommend as a starter book?
BTW, I used the search function, and didn't find anything.
Thanks, Steve.

mxer7734
12-26-2005, 12:57 AM
I dont know much about Game Theory or the books but here is a thread from a little while ago

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=4182757&page=

RyanC
12-26-2005, 12:59 AM
Sorry to say, if you only completed geometry then game theory is going to be extremely tough for you to understand. John F. Nash has done a lot of work on it(Beutiful Mind movie) and he wrote a book called Essays on game theory, which is extremely tough to understand. Do not buy this book. Honestly I dont think just picking up a book on game theory is going to help your game. There are books(most good poker books) where the experts have synthesized it for you. King Yao Weighing the Odds is a good book. Everything MIller talks about in SSHE is game theory. Good luck, study poker.

Allinlife
12-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I will wager my bankroll that reading Theory of poker will help you more in poker than any other game theory book

npc
12-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree with the poster who said that reading (or rereading) the game theory section of ToP will help you more than reading a game theory book. However, if you want to understand general game theory, then given your mathematical background I'd definitely recommend "The Compleat Strategyst" by J.D. Williams. I can't think of any other reasonable place to start.

Shooby
12-26-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've decided to just stick to poker books for now.I guess
I'll be re-reading TOP.
Thanks, Steve.

SuitedJokers
12-27-2005, 09:46 AM
For something light on the mathematics, I would recommend "Thinking Strategically" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393310353/qid=1135690932/sr=8-8/ref=pd_bbs_8/103-0479546-8817459?n=507846&s=books&v=glance) by two guys named Dixit and Nalebuff.

Some Pig
12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
Kindergarten level game theory book. (http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring96/031457.htm)

correia
12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For something light on the mathematics, I would recommend "Thinking Strategically" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0393310353/qid=1135690932/sr=8-8/ref=pd_bbs_8/103-0479546-8817459?n=507846&s=books&v=glance) by two guys named Dixit and Nalebuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. This book is an easy read and provides some very basic aspects of game theory.

deacsoft
12-28-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'll be re-reading TOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call.

Zele
12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
If you're serious about learning some game theory, don't be too put off by the math. You'll need high-school algebra and some basic calculus to go very far, but armed with that you'll be able to get through most of the game theory anybody cares about.

On the other hand, once you grok the idea of minimax and randomized strategies (which you can do without math), you'll probably have all the game theory you'll ever need for poker.

MicroBob
12-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I stumbled upon a decent read at a used bookstore called
Game Theory - A Nontechnical Introduction by Morton D. Davis (professor of mathematics at City College of the City University of NY)
It's copyright 1970 and the revised edition I have is 1983.

I have no idea how easy/hard this book would be to find.

i was able to follow it fairly easily actually (what parts I have read this far) and found it to be interesting and relatively entertaining.

Back cover:
Employing a minimum of mathematics, this fascinating book introduces the reader to an exciting area of knowledge. In this revised edition, the author describes the very latest uses of game theory in economics, business, politics, and even biology. An important new feature is a series of problems at the beginning of each chapter that lets the reader match strategies and wits with the experts.

"An expert presentation of the elements of a powerful contemporary theory of rational interaction, which has quietly penetrated the language of economic life and many modern disciplines." - John McDonald, Author of 'The Game of business' and 'Strategy in Poker, Business and War'

The latter McDonald book sounds potentially interesting also.

Matt Williams
12-31-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to say, if you only completed geometry then game theory is going to be extremely tough for you to understand. Good luck, study poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Just because he only completed Geometry doesn't mean he isn't smart enough to understand game theory. If you are willing to learn, you can accomplish anything. I was a C student in HS yet many teachers considered me to be one of the smartest students they had. I just didn't give a [censored] as I knew I wasn't going to college(money).
Rule of thumb- Don't ever judge someone by the level of education they have.

Skipbidder
12-31-2005, 04:34 AM
Prisoner's Dilemma by William Poundstone. Half biography of von Neumann and half non-technical game theory.

curious123
01-01-2006, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Everything MIller talks about in SSHE is game theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

mmbt0ne
01-02-2006, 05:11 PM
There's a good book called "Winning Ways for Mathematical Plays." It's got some good, basic stuff in it. Stay away from any books by Guillermo Owen. They're really good, but really really technical.

Also, longtime RGPer and sometimes 2p2er Jerrod Ankenman is coming out with a book soon that should be very good. I believe it will be mostly about some [0,1] problems and will be co-authored by one of Sklansky's Top Ten, Bill Chen.

Finally, you can find all kinds of good free stuff here: http://www.math.ucla.edu/~tom/

There are papers he wrote with his son Chris, and also a free book covering a lot of game theory.

correia
01-03-2006, 12:30 AM
great site mmb, thanks!