PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary Kill Phil Comments

Mason Malmuth
12-24-2005, 11:39 PM
Hi Everyone:

I've read about 140 pages of Kill Phil and my initial impression is that this is a very good book. Assuming the rest of the text is at the same qulity level as what I've read so far, it will get a 10, the highest possible, on my review scale.

Best wishes,
Mason

cwsiggy
12-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Thanks for that. Tried to get it today from a gift card I got at work. This book is sold out in three Borders and Barnes and Nobles I've been to. That may not be saying much as they might have had a low first run printing, but still....

jmillerdls
12-25-2005, 01:23 AM
I've applied much of this book's advice into my $11 SNG strategy.
Before: 2k @ 11% ROI
Since: 250 @ 33% ROI

Clearly I am running hot, but if I don't drop by more than 15% in the next 700...I'm going to be very happy with my purchase /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I feel like this book was designed for online SNG's at Party...even if that wasn't their intention. In these low buyins, the all-in play is really the only move when 8-10 tabling, and this book provides some great opportunities that I was clearly missing.
I'll be trying it on Stars after the new year...hope it translates.

wmspringer
12-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Looks like it's time to stop putting off buying this..

binions
12-25-2005, 02:48 AM
I thought you might dig it, Mason. If Sklansky had really thought about it, Kill Phil is what he would have come up with for the improved "System" in TPFAP.

12-25-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that. Tried to get it today from a gift card I got at work. This book is sold out in three Borders and Barnes and Nobles I've been to. That may not be saying much as they might have had a low first run printing, but still....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe that at this point, Borders and Barnes & Noble have ordered this book to carry in their store. They can order it for you and have it delivered in about 2-3 weeks.

I did pick mine up at a Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago, but was told that this was a copy that was special ordered but never picked up.

RowdyZ
12-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I think BArnes and Nobles around my area are carrying it. I was in Greenville, SC a couple of weeks ago and I called both stores in town, the first one said they had had some copies but were out and the one across town had 1 left. I wasn't able to get by to pick it up so when I got back to my hometown I called the local store said they had 1 left out of 5 ordered. What was funny was the lady talked to was a poker fan/player and loved the cover(She knew who Hellmuth was) and I had to talk her into letting me have that copy and ordering more for her and the store.

jimitilt
12-25-2005, 12:13 PM
I must have missed the rush... I got mine Nov 21 from Amazon at a discount no less and it took only 5 days with free shipping. Now the site is asking full price and saying it will take 2-3 weeks. "Fortune favors the ...quick"

RowdyZ
12-25-2005, 12:32 PM
This site has it in stock and at a good price as well as several other poker books.

http://www.pokergurus.com/

Rod

Shandrax
12-25-2005, 06:58 PM
There is somewhat of a conceptual problem that is bothering me with the pure all-in/fold strategy. Let's assume you win a couple of hands early and manage to build up a huge stack. What happens is this: You will tighten up so much waiting for aces or kings that you become a spectator. In the meantime the blinds will shoot up and other players will eliminate each other which leads to survivors with pretty big stacks also. Sooner or later you will be forced to go all-in again against people that can hurt or even bust you. That's ok you might think, but actually you are giving up a major advantage of a big stack and that is the ability to bully the small stacks.

Basically you are using your stack to buy time (waiting for others to go broke) instead of putting pressure on other players and stealing pots. I wonder if that can be the "correct" approach.

Assuming you are a strong player, it is also interesting to find out what is better: Playing many hands for small pots or playing only a few hands for big pots. In my opinion, playing many hands for small pots should reduce the short term luck factor in the tournament, simply because the number of hands is bigger. If you put your tournament on just 5-6 hands, short term luck should play a much bigger role.

FGators
12-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Mason:

Have you dove into Phil Gordon's Little Green Book? I don't remember comments about that. Also, I know it's an old text but I don't see any reviews from you on Bob Ciaffone's 1997 book No Limit and Pot Limit Hold'em. Thoughts on that?

popniklas
12-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Mason has reviewed NL&PL Poker. It got 10 out of 10. I think the review is included in GTOT.

Niediam
12-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Mason recently did a quick review of Gordon's book which I'm sure you could find with a quick search. I don't remember exactly what he rated it but the review was positive overall.

12AX7
12-26-2005, 12:25 AM
So does the title mean Phil Helmuth? LOL!

He seems to get a lot of derision.

benkahuna
12-26-2005, 12:51 AM
Phil is used to mean any random pro, including Phil and used since there are so many other strong Phil's out there like Ivey, Gordon, and Laak. Phil Hellmuth did the forward which deals (somewhat amusingly) with the question you've posed.

Blair Rodman
12-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Shandrax,

We deal with your first issue in the later sections of the book. We include suggestions on maintaining stack size and using your big stack to advantage. We added these tactics when we found, in experimenting with the strategy, the issues you raise to be valid. The basic strategy is a good starting point for less experienced players, but KP becomes much more powerful as you apply the advanced concepts. This is why we urge players to move on to the advanced sections as soon as possible.

If you are a better player than your opposition, you are essentially the 'Phil'. In that case, you should use your small ball skills to your advantage. However, many of the long ball concepts in KP are well applied at later stages of a tournament by players of all skill levels. In my experience, many good players excel in the small ball arena, but are a bit lacking in their long ball applications. Many of the good players we've discussed the book with are not as upset about the all-in strategy being applied by inexperienced players as they are by us giving players on the cusp of being really dangerous the weapons to put them over the top.

Blair

Tony_P
12-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Mason,

I work in a BN and am friends with the guy who's department includes the poker books. I've been passing your reviews on to him, and we've been upping the model (amount kept on hand) of books you give good reviews to.

*TT*
12-27-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason,

I work in a BN and am friends with the guy who's department includes the poker books. I've been passing your reviews on to him, and we've been upping the model (amount kept on hand) of books you give good reviews to.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about upping the order of 2+2 books? Too often they are too hard to find in the channel. Probably sold out of course /images/graemlins/wink.gif perhaps bigger orders? B&N only profits from sales, 2+2 books are expensive... sounds like a match made in heaven. Whose tummy do I have to grease (with butter) to get this done?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

FGators
12-27-2005, 10:18 PM
I just read about 80 pages of it at my local bookstore (going to buy it with the coupon at Borders tomorrow) and I was very impressed with Blair's thought process. I still have my doubts about how it would stand up in an online $5 tournament, which I play. How many people are going to lay down AQ when I re-raise all in with 99 as part of the Kill Phil Basic Plus Strategy? Also, I didn't like the comment about how the chop, chop, chopping away method is old age poker used by Dan Harrington. The WSOP winner Joe Hachem didn't necessarily win by all in moves, and Mike Matusow and Steve Dannenman placed at the final table with solid, littleball strategy.

I can't see myself adopting all of this strategy, but I definitely will use some of it. Especially in middle stack area where I flop an open ended straight draw with overcards. For example KQ on a J 10 4 rainbow board. This is a good time to push, for Rodman.

I love the CSI approach too and found the hand groupings useful.

jmillerdls
12-27-2005, 10:48 PM
I don't think its meant to be the end all be all strategy. It is to get your foot in the door. Then, when you are comfortable, you incorporate some more strategies that they offer, and once comfortable with those, you can start using small ball techniques, in conjunction with your all in moves to provide a strategy for all situations.

Gallopin Gael
12-28-2005, 01:53 AM
I used it to win a Party 10+1 earlier today after reading on their forum about the success that one guy was having using it.

And it is more about adding a "long ball" club to your bag. I used it to maintain pace with the blinds untill I got the chip lead and then started pushing players off their hands with my big stack.

MicroBob
12-28-2005, 05:30 AM
i've looked in 2 bookstores and have yet to find it.

i wanted this before based on binions review.

Now that Mason has given it a 10 I think it's a must-have.

The posts in this thread hinting at the various concepts in the book sound pretty interesting.

as someone else pointed out...it seems to practically be a 'Party SNG' strategy guide (but I'm sure it applies to more tourney stuff than just that).

Really looking forward to tracking down a copy.

benkahuna
12-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Just a quick note, Mason gave it a preliminary 10 and hasn't yet finished it.

It's beginning to sound like the next must read tournament poker book, isn't it?

I read a few chapters, but haven't yet hit the meat.

hecubus
12-28-2005, 11:57 AM
My Xmas amazon wishlist was so filled with poker stuff, my fiance got confused and ordered me this book....twice! So now I've got two copies sitting here - just started reading one. Heck, I might even read them both.

Gallopin Gael
12-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Takes till about chapter 6 (IIRC) to get to the "good" stuff. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bitznbytz
12-28-2005, 01:40 PM
I found it on eBay via these guys (http://www.pokergurus.com) also. Fast, friendly service so I'm happy to give them a recommendation.

FGators
12-28-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just a quick note, Mason gave it a preliminary 10 and hasn't yet finished it.

It's beginning to sound like the next must read tournament poker book, isn't it?

I read a few chapters, but haven't yet hit the meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll get there, benka. It starts the meat around page 80, if I remember correctly. It's a slow, fluffy start and most of us are past the beginner's section. But after about 75-80 pages it really starts getting instructional and I was pretty impressed with some of the tactics used by Lee and Blair.

Lloyd
12-28-2005, 03:33 PM
FWIW, I placed an order through these guys yesterday and the shipment is out via Priority mail today. So pretty fast response so far.

Gallopin Gael
12-28-2005, 04:05 PM
definatly pay the extra for priority. media mail sucks (mine took over a week to get here).

GeoC
12-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Total results w/Kill Phil:

Add another first place to my $10 + $1 SnGs.

totals
4 firsts
2 2nds
2 3rds

14 total plays with an ROI of 66.67%.

16 freerolls with the lowest number of entrants @ 950+ all the way up to 2650+.

4 final tables.

This to be sure is a very short sample but looks very promising. I'll post more of my SnG totals when I get a few hundred under my belt.

-Geo

Update, I've played 24 SnGs with my in the money standing at 40% and my ROI at 42%.

Stosh
12-28-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I placed an order through these guys yesterday and the shipment is out via Priority mail today. So pretty fast response so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, I ordered late last night and it shipped this morning. 'Stosh

jmillerdls
12-28-2005, 08:08 PM
Sample size is just too small to even bother to look at the statistics. Get it to at least 100 (which is still too small), and then maybe I'll at least take notice.

Ryan11
12-28-2005, 08:10 PM
i ordered from gurus and it shipped out this morning as well.

Jimmy James
12-28-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Total results w/Kill Phil:

Add another first place to my $10 + $1 SnGs.

totals
4 firsts
2 2nds
2 3rds

14 total plays with an ROI of 66.67%.

16 freerolls with the lowest number of entrants @ 950+ all the way up to 2650+.

4 final tables.

This to be sure is a very short sample but looks very promising. I'll post more of my SnG totals when I get a few hundred under my belt.

-Geo

Update, I've played 24 SnGs with my in the money standing at 40% and my ROI at 42%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there something on party poker that keeps track of your stats like that, or are you just writing them down? I've always wanted to see how many times I've money'd in my SNG's, but I'm too lazy to actually keep manual track of every SNG. Thanks...

GeoC
12-28-2005, 10:45 PM
JJ:

I use Poker Office which keeps track of the stats.

-Geo

GeoC
12-28-2005, 10:46 PM
(This to be sure is a very short sample but looks very promising. I'll post more of my SnG totals when I get a few hundred under my belt.)

Guess you forgot to read this part of my post.

-Geo

jmillerdls
12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
I would say PokerTracker is the clear choice on this. I'd say 90% of players on this site already have it.

GeoC
12-29-2005, 02:40 AM
I too have Poker Tracker, but use it mostly to plug my leaks and a few other uses. Poker Office ver. 2 has some nifty new features that I really like.

HtotheNootch
12-30-2005, 01:47 AM
I used the Kill Phil strat for the FCP freeroll tonight. Finished in the top 20.

phydaux
12-30-2005, 02:21 AM
You all seem to talking about using the Kill Phil stratagy in tournaments where the blinds ratchet up over time.

What about ring games where the blinds stay level? Will the Kill Phil still work?

Is this book going to become the Small Stakes Hold'em of No Limit?

jmillerdls
12-30-2005, 04:44 AM
umm, no...and no
This book has nothing to do with, and no use in cash games.

MicroBob
12-30-2005, 08:41 AM
It's a tournament strategy book...not an NL strategy book.

benfranklin
12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What about ring games where the blinds stay level? Will the Kill Phil still work?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this book going to become the Small Stakes Hold'em of No Limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

To answer both questions, Kill Phil is a strategy to avoid post flop play when you don't play as well as your opponents.

Kicker1
12-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Actually it's a No Limit Tournament strategy book giving beginners an almost even chance to compete against more skilled players playing a "normal" strategy.

It is also similar to Ed Millers Short Stacked NL cash game strategy in the sense that it avoids the skill demanding post flop game.

JackCase
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
giving beginners an almost even chance to compete against more skilled players

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your basis for that unfounded statistic???

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually it's a No Limit Tournament strategy book giving beginners an almost even chance to compete against more skilled players playing a "normal" strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this book will give a beginner an "almost even" chance against skilled players. Matter of fact, I'm positive it won't.

Kicker1
12-30-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this book will give a beginner an "almost even" chance against skilled players. Matter of fact, I'm positive it won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about starting by quoting me right...
But let me guess, You have not read the book, so how can you be so positive?

Kicker1
12-30-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
giving beginners an almost even chance to compete against more skilled players

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your basis for that unfounded statistic???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing more than that is what I interpeted from the book when I read it.
I was not aware that I was stating any statistic though, but then again, I am danish reading a book in english.
I could have misunderstood something.

Wow, nice welcome...

Margon
12-30-2005, 03:29 PM
Hey there, and welcome....

Some of the people on here will nit pick everything people say or write. Most of the time don't worry about them they are usually one of three types....

1) People who suck at poker and are being jerks (ignore them)

2) People who are just jerks (ignore them)

or

3) People who are really good at poker, have been around for years, and don't put more than the absolute minimum in their posts, so they can come off harsh at times (listen to these people, and have a thick skin).

The challenges is figuring out who is being harsh and who is being a jerk, and that comes from time spent reading posts. When someone is good, but harsh, take their question and try to answer it....

Margon

Gelford
12-30-2005, 03:42 PM
Lol ... don't mind them, it is a nice place to be this forum

Problem is, that the above posters quickly state, that the Kill Phil approach is useless in ringgames without stating why ... which makes one smile, but is useless

Question is if Kill Phil can translate into some kind of short stack theory like fx the one formulated by Ed Miller or if it simply only draws its strenght from the fact, that tourney players are afraid to be knocked out of tourneys and therefore fold often (Which is what Sklanskys system that inspired Kill Phil used as a foundation)

If Kill Phill can't be used directely in ringgames, second question is, if it can be modified in a way, so that it can be applies to ringgames with a positive EV ??

It is annoying that this book is sold out ... will have to wait forever to get it here in Denmark (It does not make much sense to order from the US .. it takes forever, and then add a week more as it is held back and VAT is added, so just like with HOH2 there is nothing but waiting untill amazon.co.uk has it in stock )

Welcome to the forums btw kicker1 (and by the way, if all else fails learn to play Stud, friendly people studplayers) /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jmillerdls
12-30-2005, 03:50 PM
No, it can't be used or modified in any way to be used in cash games. By the way, they say all of this in the book. This book is designed to take advantage of certain characteristics that NL tourneys have, and the opportunities that can only be found in them. Not going to find any help to your cash game here.

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How about starting by quoting me right...

[/ QUOTE ]

I quoted you verbatim so I'm not sure what your problem is with my quote.

[ QUOTE ]
But let me guess, You have not read the book, so how can you be so positive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you're now 0-for-2 with me. Statistically speaking, 0%.

Now, instead of taking unecessary cheap shots, how about some statistics to back up the silly claim you made about the book giving beginners an "almost even" chance against skilled players.

Gelford
12-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Didn't expect ringgame help .. was just annoyed with some of the replies .. still the reviews of the book makes you dream of 10 tabling party 11$ SNG for a nice profit

Has anyone done any testing of the KP approach above the 11$ level ?

Rudbaeck
12-30-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
still the reviews of the book makes you dream of 10 tabling party 11$ SNG for a nice profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's under the assumption these games don't fill up with other KP players, which they are pretty likely to do. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kicker1
12-30-2005, 04:45 PM
@ Jbrochu.
I am not sure we read the same book.
If you look at the back of the book it says:

"Simple enough to be mastered within an hour and powerful enough to make you competitive in your first tournament".

After reading the book I personally agree with the writers on that statement and said so in this thread.
I don't get your problem with me saying that!!!

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 05:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Simple enough to be mastered within an hour and powerful enough to make you competitive in your first tournament".

[/ QUOTE ]

That is different than saying what you said.

Anyway, sorry if I came across as a jerk it wasn't intentional (in my first reply anyway). I just don't believe the authors themselves would try to have people believe this book is going to let beginners compete on an almost even level.

Welcome to the forum.

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 05:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, that's under the assumption these games don't fill up with other KP players, which they are pretty likely to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if the $11 tables will fill up with KP players (because good players will move up quickly), but even well before Kill Phil many of the higher buyin players were playing a strategy that closely resembles Kill Phil.

Especially on Party, where by level 3 you already have a fairly shallow stack.

prana
12-30-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is different than saying what you said.

[/ QUOTE ]

nit

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nit

[/ QUOTE ]

Take some reading comprehension lessons please.

If you or anybody else thinks this book can give a beginner an "almost even" chance against solid players I have some property for sale in Florida that you might be interested in.

[edit] And by the way, sorry for correcting a clear error in somebody else's post and sorry for not drinking the forum "cool-aid" regarding this book.

jmillerdls
12-30-2005, 08:26 PM
I think the intent of this book is not to give you an almost even chance at beating the pros. I think it gives you a strategy to counter-act what they do best. If you want to sit down at a table full of Phil's and try and small-ball with them, well, good luck to you. But, if you realize that there is no way you are going to be successful doing that, this gives you an alternate strategy that might be your most optimal choice against them.

Rudbaeck
12-30-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you or anybody else thinks this book can give a beginner an "almost even" chance against solid players I have some property for sale in Florida that you might be interested in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually for online tournaments it probably will. You're pretty much permanently in the orange zone even as chip leader after the first few levels.

Jbrochu
12-30-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually for online tournaments it probably will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so that property I was talking about is water front, really really nice view.... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You make a good point, particularly regarding STTs and the turbo structured MTTs. However, I will be a nit here and say that it's my belief that the solid player still has a better than "almost even" chance against a beginner employing Kill Phil.

ewile
12-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, I've played almost exclusively limit HE in my 5 years playing the game, a couple of freerolls and a couple of cheap SNG's for kicks, but the hype for this one got me and I just ordered a copy from Conjelco.

Maybe it will be fun to jump into some tournaments and at least feel like I have some sort of game-plan.

jmillerdls
12-31-2005, 12:34 AM
If you just want to try it out, I have found this strategy killer for the Party 11's and 22's. I know this book wasn't designed for these bad player filled SNGs, but for whatever reason, they seem to work great.

maurile
12-31-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I will be a nit here and say that it's my belief that the solid player still has a better than "almost even" chance against a beginner employing Kill Phil.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're being worse than a nit. You're being anal about wording that isn't even inaccurate. "Almost" is subjective, so it can be pretty broad. And besides, any player is "almost even" with any other player in the extreme short term that is a single Party SNG.

RedGladiator
01-08-2006, 09:53 AM
when was this book released??
i ask because i am new here and did a search for top 10 books and it was in no ones list.
but i take it, now it is on most peoples list.

RowdyZ
01-08-2006, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i ask because i am new here and did a search for top 10 books and it was in no ones list.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was released in October but with a limited printd run, it is very hard to found right now and most are waiting on the 2nd printing.

RZ

01-09-2006, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was very tough to find originally. I got lucky at a Barnes & Noble because someone special ordered it and never picked it up. I haven't seen the book in any other bookstore.

vulturesrow
01-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Any date released for the 2nd run?

Hellmouth
01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I just drove from MD to VA to purchase this book from Borders. They have it on order at all the Borders books in my area but none had it. I ordered it on amazon last night but it said that it wouldn't ship until feb so I searched a little harder. (Sorry guys in Vienna Va but I got there first). My initial impression after reading one page is that the type setting and fonts all seem to be copying 2+2 books.

I'll post again when I have read some of the book.

Greg

ephemeral
01-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Books are expected back from the printers on January 12.

As for the strategy cards:
We caught an oversight in the Advanced Post-flop strategy cards and had to recall them. They're now back at the printers. ETA now about 10 days to 2 weeks.

Blair and I know that you're all eagerly awaiting these and that there are partial versions appearing around (including here). Let me tell you that it's not been easy to get these in perfect form, but we've now (I think) accomplished that goal. We would greatly appreciate it if you would refrain from making additional cards. Blair, Kim Lee, and I have worked very hard on making these perfect and extremely easy to use and understand.

We thank you all for your patience. The set including all levels and post-flop strategies on individual cards will sell for somewhere between $10-$15.

Regards,

Lee Nelson

mshalen
01-09-2006, 07:36 PM
Great news. Looking forward to reading the book. My copy is on order. I hope the morons at Borders don't screw up my order.

RedGladiator
01-09-2006, 08:20 PM
does anyone know when it is being released in UK LONDON???

The once and future king
01-09-2006, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mason,

[/ QUOTE ]

In a spirit of total selfishness, could I request you repair the damage you are doing and get him to start stocking all the crap poker books.

RustyCJ
01-09-2006, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it will be fun to jump into some tournaments and at least feel like I have some sort of game-plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wanted to play more SNGs myself and this is exactly what it does, starts you off with a game plan so that you can at least hold your own. I got the book on Friday and I feel much more confident playing SNGs now. I played 13 SNGs over the weekend and finished ITM on 6 of them, including 2 wins. I also played in four 45 person tourneys and took 1st, 4th, 9th and 13th. I'd say that's not too bad for almost zero tourney experience.

Tourneys are alot of fun and I'm anxious to get more experience under my belt.

vulturesrow
01-10-2006, 12:20 AM
Lee,

What would be the best way to get a "jump" on the second printing?

Thanks.

granthor
01-10-2006, 04:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know when it is being released in UK LONDON???

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just ordered mine from gamblingbooks.co.uk for £19.95+pp. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

lorez
01-10-2006, 06:08 AM
You can get it from High Stakes Bookshop although you'll have to get them to order them. I picked mine up yesterday and they were flying out of the door.

They have a website here (http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/)

ephemeral
01-10-2006, 06:37 AM
I think ordering it through this website will be as fast as any other vehicle for obtaining the second printing of KP. It's identical to the first printing with the exception of mending a few minor errata.

Regards,

Lee

pastabatman
01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
I tried KP 'basic online strategy' for the first time last night, played 5 Party $10/1 SNGs. I have the book, but used the chart mentioned in other thread. Those authors really need to get those chart cards out. For me, charts are essential for something that considers 10 hand groups, 4 stack sizes, my positions, positions of raisers/limpers, etc. I'm sure it'll be eventually be 2nd nature, but it's going to take awhile. Seems like some full page charts should have been included in the book, not just a list of 'if this - do that' instructions.

Anyhow, after playing HOH-style to the best of my limited ability for a while now, playing this KP strategy felt super strange! I felt like a madman, driving the wrong way on the freeway! But nobody said a word. I was actually looking forward to the verbal abuse, so a bit disappointed there. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I messed up the first SNG, going all-in with TT from MP, when I should have folded with my current stack size. Funny enough, I got called by button with 77! He hit his set, and busted me. Out of the other 4 SNGs, I went out 3rd in two of them.

Anyhow, lots of fun! Not sure where I'll stand with regard to KP and HOH when I'm done studying both, but I'm sure I'll be a better player.

Pasta

ephemeral
01-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Kill Phil strategy cards are at the printers. They'll be a complete set including live, online, late stages, and post-flop.

ETA- 10-14 days.

Regards,

Lee Nelson

Scotch78
01-10-2006, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is annoying that this book is sold out ... will have to wait forever to get it here in Denmark (It does not make much sense to order from the US .. it takes forever, and then add a week more as it is held back and VAT is added, so just like with HOH2 there is nothing but waiting untill amazon.co.uk has it in stock )

[/ QUOTE ]

What about having a US 2er buy these books and ship them to you? I'm sure it's more expensive, but if it gets them to you a couple months sooner . . .

Scott

Leavenfish
01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
still the reviews of the book makes you dream of 10 tabling party 11$ SNG for a nice profit

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's under the assumption these games don't fill up with other KP players, which they are pretty likely to do. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which opens the way for an enterprising young author to write a 'Kill Kill Phil' book. Any takers?

mycarpayment
01-14-2006, 12:44 AM
I was wondering, for those of you who've read the book, its usefullness in Rebuy tournys. I play in a weekly, live $500 Freeroll with $20 rebuys for the first hour. Usually 30-40 people. Have played in 5 so far, 3 4ths/ 1 2nd/ 1 7th. From what I've read in the posts about KP, and what I already know about rebuy tournys, my initial thought would be to wait to implement KP until the rebuy period is over. Am I off base here??

RedGladiator
01-14-2006, 04:58 PM
does anyone know when the Kill Phil strategy cards will be availble in uk?? or amazon.co.uk??

Rudbaeck
01-14-2006, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone know when the Kill Phil strategy cards will be availble in uk?? or amazon.co.uk??

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/bookshop/titleinfo.php?item=2503

That's where I ordered mine.

RedGladiator
01-14-2006, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.gamblingbooks.co.uk/bookshop/titleinfo.php?item=2503

That's where I ordered mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was actually asking about the strategy cards, not the book, but thanks anyway.

Rudbaeck
01-15-2006, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i was actually asking about the strategy cards, not the book, but thanks anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got leet reading comprehension at times.