PDA

View Full Version : High cysteine foods

wacki
04-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has/knows of a list. One that preferably shows the concentration of cysteine in the food as well. Thanks.

Related thread
http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...rue#Post2048434 (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Board=exchange&Number=20484 34&Searchpage=1&Main=2046171&Words=cysteine+++wack i&topic=&Search=true#Post2048434)

Copernicus
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
its usually spelled cystine

Eggs, dairy products and "certain meats", which, I would assume is meats from lactating animals.

You may want to watch out for "cystine loading" though. There is a form of kidney stone caused by cystines which is particularly bothersome because they generally cant be broken up with lithotripsy. Lithotripsy itself apparently has side effects years after the procedure as well.

And believe me...you dont want to ever experience kidney stones..youll be praying for all the hangovers you "cured" with cystines to hit you at once, and they still wont come close to the pain.

guesswest
04-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I think red peppers have a high concentration of cysteine. I have no idea what cysteine is, but I remember someone advising me to put red peppers in a smoothie I was making one morning with a hangover and telling me it was because of cysteine.

He then said 'no not the green' when I grabbed the most accessible pepper from the fridge. Which in retrospect is confusing me, aren't the different colors the same pepper just less ripe?

ThinkQuick
04-29-2006, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
its usually spelled cystine

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually cystIne is two molecules of cystEIne bound together. cystine is more stable and more easily absorbed than cysteine

Copernicus
04-30-2006, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think red peppers have a high concentration of cysteine. I have no idea what cysteine is, but I remember someone advising me to put red peppers in a smoothie I was making one morning with a hangover and telling me it was because of cysteine.

He then said 'no not the green' when I grabbed the most accessible pepper from the fridge. Which in retrospect is confusing me, aren't the different colors the same pepper just less ripe?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, bell or "sweet" peppers come in different colors incl. yellow, green, red and orange, that has nothing to do with ripeness.

I also doubt whether they contain cysteine or cystine, which I have only seen in reference to meats.

guesswest
04-30-2006, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, bell or "sweet" peppers come in different colors incl. yellow, green, red and orange, that has nothing to do with ripeness.

I also doubt whether they contain cysteine or cystine, which I have only seen in reference to meats.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the second point, wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cysteine) confirms red peppers are a source of cysteine.

On the first, just done a bit of reading on this. It's apparently a combination, seems green bell peppers are normally red/yellow/orange peppers picked early, some in the red-yellow group are different gradations of the same and some are accounted for by different sub-species. Turns out there's also white bell peppers, which are the only kind that stay the same colour through their ripening cycle. Anyone here ever seen a white bell pepper? I haven't.

pilliwinks
04-30-2006, 11:48 PM
So cysteine is a hangover cure? Well, you learn something every day. And most days it isn't true.

I would love to see the research on this one. As far as I could see from wacki's post, the explanation given for the effect was that the liver has limited glutathione, which removes toxins, and that cysteine helps replace the glutathione.

This explanation could be right. But it sounds suspiciously like the explanation that you should eat loads of carrots to have better night vision.

The relationship between what you eat and what your liver uses, is usually complex. To suggest that the amino acid cysteine (which your body is perfectly capable of making and recycling) is the limiting factor in alcohol detox, strikes me as superficially naive, though I'm no physiologist.